Veteran software developer, world record holder, author, and photographer.
- Formally Head of Engineering at Estate Assist, VP. of Engineering and Tech Founder at inSparq. Founded and advised numerous start-ups. Prior: Director of Software Development at iPayment.
- Founder and core committer on the Hydra open source project for building Distributed Applications such as Microservices.
Contact / Social
- 20+ years in the software industry. Experience working with small privately funded start-ups to large Fortune 100 companies on small applications to large scale enterprise systems.
- Contributed to the release of 14 commercial products from business applications to computer games.
- Awarded a 2005 Guinness World Record involving Distributed Computation. ChessBrain
- Co-authored two technical books published by Prentice Hall and Springer. Published research papers and articles with ACM, IEEE, IBM, O'Reilly, and the Linux Journal.
- 2018 RedisConf18, Pier 27, San Francisco, California. Building light-weight Microservices using Redis. My talk discussed how to leverage Redis to build microservice frameworks PDF | video
- 2016 EmpireNode conference, Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian in New York City. My talk was on building NodeJS Microservices using an open source library I developed called Hydra. video
- 2005 BoF Linux conference, Copenhagen, Denmark. I delivered the conference keynote presentation, entitled, "Tapping the Matrix". My talk focused on how Open Source tools are being used to build distributed computation projects.
- (2007) Advanced Intelligent Paradigms in Computer Games. Collaborated with Dr. Colin Frayn on a chapter on ChessBrain for the
Studies in Computational Intelligence series, Vol. 71. ISBN: 978-3-540-72704-0 Amazon
- (2006) IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence and Games. ChessBrain II - A Hierarchical Infrastructure for Distributed Inhomogeneous Speed-Critical Computation. Presented at the 2006 IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence and Games. PDF
- (2005) LinuxForum BoF. Tapping the Matrix: Harnessing distributed computing resources using Open Source tools. Presented in the keynote presentation at LinuxForum BoF 2005 in Copenhagen Denmark. PDF
- (2004) International Conference On Scientific and Engineering Computation. The ChessBrain Project - Massively Distributed Inhomogeneous Speed-Critical Computation. Presented at the International Conference On Scientific and Engineering Computation in Singapore. PDF
- (2004) IBM Developerworks site. Automate backups on Linux. This article focuses on secure network backups under Linux. PDF
- (2004) O'Reilly P2P. I wrote a two-part series for the OpenP2P site on harnessing the idle processing power of distributed machines. PDF
Presentations before groups of varying sizes at tech meetups.
- (2018) Building Distributed Microservices using Redis, NYCNode hosted at ShutterStock. video
- (2018) Building Distributed Microservices using NodeJS, Redis & Hydra Service @Flywheel - presented at Microservices NYC hosted at ThoughtWorks. Meetup
- (2017) Graphs, Graph DBs, and Node at NYCNode slides
- (2016) Node in small places at NYCNode slides
- (2016) Node in small places slides
- (2015) Intro to Node.JS slides
- (2015) A look at Pixi.js. A look at Pixi.js, a 2D rendering library for WebGL with Canvas fallback.
- (2015) Introduction to Modern Web Development
- (2014) YAAP: Yet Another Angular Presentation slides
- (2013) How Computers Play Chess. A look at computer chess history leading up to how computers actually play chess. slides
- (2011) Node.js in Under 5 Minutes. Quick introduction to NodeJS back in 2011. YouTube
- (2011) CouchDB in Under 143 seconds. Introduction to the NoSQL CouchDB. YouTube
- (2005) LinuxForum BoF. My keynote presentation at LinuxForum BoF 2005 in Copenhagen Denmark. PDF
Open Source Projects (github)
Select projects on Github:
- Hydra. Hydra is a NodeJS light-weight microservices library built on Redis. repo
- Hydra-Express. A module which wraps Hydra and ExpressJS to provide an out of the box microservice which can support API routes and handlers. repo
- Hydra-Router. A service aware router for Hydra Services. repo
- Hydra Cluster. A Node-based compute cluster. repo
- Universal Message Format (UMF) specification. A messaging protocol for use with IoT, messaging queuing and microservices. repo
More projects at: https://github.com/cjus